ROSACEA

In the treatment of rosacea, knowledge is power. Understanding the factors that influence your rosacea, can lead to a more successful treatment.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Theory of Rosacea

Rosacea could be defined as a genetic abnormality within the vascular structure, could it not? Under pressure it results in the vascular damage that leads to rosacea symptoms. It seems that many are interested in discovering what this genetic flaw is all about and how to correct it (ie with gene therapy).

But I began to wonder more about what causes this 'pressure'. For some it can bought on drugs, others by environmental factors, and it seems that many develop rosacea as a result of some underlying exaggeration of thermo-regulation. This last one is me all over. I have been getting Chilblaines all winter on my fingers and toes, yet my face flushes red hot to the slightest increase in heat. It seems that my body is totally over reacting to thermal stimuli, and I speak to MANY people who consider themselves in the same boat.

Hormonal maybe? A result of an allergy? Imo, if we could correct this then we would rid ourselves also of the superficial symptoms. Take this for example: I read a while back about a particular disorder (I forget which) which resulted in heavy duty facial flushing. Apparently non rosaceans were showing signs of rosacea before too long - their healthly facial blood vessels were buckling under the pressure.

Consider another example, menopausal women - I know women who've shown no sign of rosacea right up until menopausal hot flashes started. Then within a few short years they we well in mild rosacea (sometimes worse). Is it the because the EVERYONE has a breaking point? But most people never reach that point. For us, some other issues combine with our low 'breaking point' and cause us to develop the rosacea vascular damage.