ROSACEA

In the treatment of rosacea, knowledge is power. Understanding the factors that influence your rosacea, can lead to a more successful treatment.

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Skin Damage From Laser

I always feel frustrated when anyone experiences a side effect from laser or IPL treatment. Thankfully, most of these reports are posted within the first two weeks, long before the skin has to heal.I wanted to show you a horrible photo of my first laser treatment over a decade ago.

I choose the top guy in the field (Dr.Bridenstein of U. of Pittsburg Chair Dermatology) who used the 585nm pulse dye laser. Knowing nothing, he offered me several treatments at low energies or one big treatment (if you could stand the pain). I opted for the one big treatment.

Once again, I am posting these photos so it may give some peace to those scared of lasers. Dr. Bridenstein gave me a second degree burn. I actually went to the burn unit and they dressed my face and gave me ointments to use for three weeks.

The photos are not great,but it just shows how resilient the skin is. Top Photo: 26 days after treatment. Purple color is burned flesh. Clear ointment over top. You can see that my eyes are still almost swollen shut 28 days after treatment. It took more than three months for it to clear. Then my flushing and neural pain took off evenworse.

Bottom Photo: I took a year off from lasers as I was scared to death. I then used 6 photoderms to reverse everything. The bottom photo is taken two days after my final photoderm.http://www.drnase.com/LaserBurn.htm Just goes to show you how tough the skin is.....even rosacea skin.It also reinforces the continuing theme that when I do something(right or wrong), I do it 150%.Regards,Geoffrey______________________________Dr. Geoffrey NasePh.D. Neurovascular